Anemia in Pregnancy – What Is It and How Can It Be Treated?
- Pregnancy is considered a period when there is a sudden surge in the growth rate of a woman’s body. Although this is the case, pregnancy should not be considered a period of increased weight gain. Pregnancy is a period when a woman’s body gets the opportunity to develop specific systems and organs.
- Anemia in pregnancy is one of the most common conditions that a woman can have. It can be attributed to the excessive intake of foods rich in iron. Most of the anemia in pregnancy is caused by the lack of iron in the body.
- Anemia is characterized by a deficiency of iron in a woman’s blood, and it is not necessarily caused by the consumption of iron-rich foods or by being pregnant. However, the lack of iron can be prevented by eating abundant iron and ensuring that the body is getting the right amount of iron through the intake of iron-rich foods.
- Anemia in pregnancy is usually caused due to the failure of the body to absorb iron in the blood. Some known causes are genetic factors, pregnancy complications, poor eating habits, and the consumption of iron-rich foods. A woman who has been diagnosed with anemia should avoid heavy eating habits. Instead, she should eat a diet that is rich in iron. One of the best iron-rich foods is spinach.
- The presence of spinach in a woman’s diet has been proven to be very effective in treating anemia in pregnant women. It can be consumed either in the form of a pill or in the form of supplements. Both of these are effective in reducing anemia in pregnant women.
- Anemia in pregnancy in India is not very prevalent. However, it is not that uncommon to come across anemia in pregnant women. However, it is not always easy to treat this condition. Women who are suffering from anemia in pregnancy should be given special attention to avoid complications caused by the lack of iron in their bodies.
- Iron supplements are essential as it can help ensure that the baby gets the right amount of iron that he/she requires. If the baby is not receiving the right amount of iron, it can lead to certain complications like heart problems, and a baby who is not developed enough may even be born with congenital disabilities.
- Iron supplements are not only available in the form of pills but also in the form of a pill and a powder. Both of these can be easily found in any of the nearby drugstores. However, it is recommended to consult a doctor before taking any of these pills.
- It is also important to note that anemia in pregnancy is not a condition that can be avoided entirely. Pregnant women should make sure to drink eight to ten glasses of water each day.